Child Theme for edits

Everything else!

Child Theme for edits

Postby idive » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:42 pm

Hey Wayne! I read your note on theme edits in a child theme a little late...Since I just started with the theme and assume that an update hasn't occured at this point, Is there a way to take the changes that I have already made and save them as a child theme?

As I understand it, when an update occurs, I will lose all of my edits if I don't use a child theme and update the parent. Since the child theme has priority, wouldn't the update get overwritten? I guess I'm not clear on exactly how this works. :? Thanks for your help!
idive
I'm a regular

Re: Child Theme for edits

Postby wayne » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:45 pm

How it works is if you make the edits to the main theme and you update the theme all your edits are lost.

If you make the edits to the child theme, when the main theme is upgraded the child theme remains so all your edits stay there. The child theme is in a different directory to the main theme so therefore it does not get overridden when you upgrade the theme.

You can find this on the WordPress help pages.
wayne
Site Admin

Postby jimR » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:40 pm

Could you not backup your stylesheet (and other modified files) then install them as a child theme after your upgrade? I'm new to wordpress, so I'm just guessing...
jimR
I'm new here

Postby wayne » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:48 pm

Well you could but you'd lose all the upgraded CSS.

In the child theme you want as minimum CSS as you can.
wayne
Site Admin

Return to Announcements and General Support for Slidingdoor Themes