Many have asked questions about this.
This is THE way. As we are told from the beginning on this forum.
Quote (the italic comments are from me)
How do I change the URL that the sliding doors link to?
VERSION 2.6 and later: THE MENU'S ARE NOW SET UP USING THE BUILT-IN CUSTOM MENUS (I don't understand this and am not using Custom Menus)
1. Go into Appearance - Menus
2. Create a New menu and add 7 Pages
to it. Make 7 pages and give them any name you want. We will remove the titles later.
3. A new dropdown will appear on the left called 'Sliding Navigation' Select your new menu here.
How do I link to a category in the sliding doors and select an image for that category?
1. Make a blank 'placeholder' page called anything (eg category 1) and upload a featured image for this page and then add this page to the navigation menu] so that one of the sliding doors points to it. I did not do this. This is a very confusing part. Please make sure you have installed the plugin below first! After that do not make a new Placeholder page but use the 7 pages you have in the menu!!
2. Use the 'page links to' plugin to point this page to the category you want
(Here is the plugin http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/page-links-to/
)So edit each page seperately. Give them a link to a categorie or URL and a featured image!
The sliding image will now link to the category.
Now you have seven pages that are mentioned just below the sliding doors. The seven pages you made are visible. You don't want that do you?
Go back to the pages and edit them. Remove the title and Save! You can remove the title when you give the page a link to ... and a featured image but it's better to see if everything works as you want and after that remove the title.
I tried to make a blank page with no title and save it from the beginning. Does not work! You have to give the page a title first, put the link of the categorie (or a URL) in the section Page Links To, connect it with a featured image from the sliding doors and save it. Later you edit it and remove the title. Before you remove the titel you can go to Appearences and Menu en put the pages in the order you want. Just pick them up and put them in the right place. This way you can manage the Sliding Doors. That is also a reason to remove the title of the pages as a last thing and not do it first.
I did it! I did it! I did it!