one-column theme, how to include it as a child theme?

Everything else!

one-column theme, how to include it as a child theme?

Postby craigm » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:53 pm

I have created a Child Theme for Sliding-Door.

How do I utilize the one-column (style.css), no side bar and overwrite the main page?

On the main page:
1... I want to have the sliding doors (images portion) on top and use them as designed.

2... I do not want any side bars.

3... I do want the blog to expand to the full width of the screen and appear under the sliding images.

I am lost...Words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Removing the sidebars has been my downfall.

THANK YOU!

Craig http://www.hirecraigm.com
craigm
Legend!

Re: one-column theme, how to include it as a child theme?

Postby krickets » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:14 am

One column no side bar on right side of page.

http://www.krickettsbooks.com/my-stuff
krickets
Legend!

Postby craigm » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:25 pm

Thank you for your quick response. It turns out I am just not that bright being new to WordPress.

I have studied the site you suggested quite a bit looking under the source code option of IE9. I have also used the F12 inspection option as well.

I simply cannot invoke the one-column option of the stlye.css file.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
craigm
Legend!

Postby krickets » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:59 am

Last edited by krickets on Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
krickets
Legend!

Postby krickets » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:03 am

Try the videos at this site if you are new to WordPress

www.wordpresstipstricksandtweaks.com/
krickets
Legend!

Postby craigm » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Krickets, you are assume! I will follow your advice today!

THANKS for your input, Craig
craigm
Legend!

Postby craigm » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:59 pm

Ok...I might have broken the code (figuratively not literally) with your help.

Is it true:

The home page can only be revised by code changes in the PHP and CSS files of the child theme? This would explain why I cannot invoke the .one-column theme included in Sliding-Door on the home page.

A couple of questions:

Does the home page have a name that I can link to, in the menu system, without going back to the URL and completely reloading the site for internal site navigation?

As I add pages, I know I will need a text area to have a white background with black text so that the information can be copied and pasted into Microsoft Word.

Is there a way to let the user download a Microsoft Word version of a portion (body) the page?

So you know I am not wasting your time, when I went to "viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1774" as you suggested, I had already read that post twice. Hence my suspicion that the home page can only be changed programmatically (which dawned upon me today).

I was already watching the video you suggested "www.wordpresstipstricksandtweaks.com/" I was at chapter four. I really am researching and trying. I have spent a couple of days just doing research and a couple more working on the layout. I spent a half-a-day in the bookstore going thru WordPress, CSS and PHP books researching my home page problem...I think I have been trying to push a chain up to now!

Every single post grows my understanding of Sliding-Door and WordPress dramatically and I am grateful!

Thank You,
Craig
craigm
Legend!

Postby krickets » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:48 pm

I don't remember about linking the home page, it's been a while, but I think I needed to add the widget "Page Links To" and it will give a place under the text box to put a link. Another option is to remove the home page from the slider menu and add another page. I didn't have to do any code work to get what I wanted. It was all in the wordpress. I did a little after I finished to change the colors of background and text.

If I remember I tried to get a store on my home page and couldn't get full page. I abandoned it for the basic theme for the store.
krickets
Legend!

Postby craigm » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:37 pm

After a lot of experimenting in the files I have found:

ALWAYS WORK IN A CHILD THEME, NEVER THE ORIGINAL CODE, SEARCH THE WEB FOR THE ONE LINE OF CODE FOR THE CSS FILE THAT YOU WILL NEED TO ESTABLISH A CHILD THEME.

The home or front_page can only Be changed by editing the css and php files.

I have included a jpg file showing the file names of the files I have had to modify code in.

My advice is to use an editor like CoffeeCup free edition to open all the files and search for the terms you are tring to change.

I have bleed through trial & error. I found the best thing to do is to try changing the code. If it does not work, go back and comment it out notating what if anything the change accomplished or did not. In the comment I always put my initals so that I can later search for places where I have changed the code for reference.

My changes are too many to post at this time. In my experimentation I have used: 1: CSS; 2. PHP, 3: HTML, and 4: WordPress to achieve the affects that I desired. When I started this I knew none of these languages and now after two weeks of web research and trial & error I can just get by.

Be NOT afraid to change the code! Document what you do. Always have a clean copy of the code incase you do something really wrong, you can go copy the code from the original files and paste it back into your files to correct the error.

REMEBER TO NEVER CHANGE THE ORIGINAL FILES! ALWAYS WORK WITH A CHILD THEME. SEE THE WEB FOR THE STYLE.CSS CHANGE NEEDED TO CREATE A CHILD THEME. ITS ONLY ONE LINE OF CODE, IN A DIRECTORY THAT YOU CREATE AND COPY ONLY THE FILES YOU ARE CHANGING TO, BUT IT WILL SAVE SOME OF YOUR SANITY!

Best Wishs,

Craig
Attachments
Snap3.jpg
Files I had to modify
Snap3.jpg (24.45 KiB) Viewed 6161 times
craigm
Legend!

Return to Announcements and General Support for Slidingdoor Themes