Child themes are designed for you to customise a wordpress theme.
(1) If anything breaks you can easily disable files and work out which one is broken.
(2) If the Slidingdoor theme is updated you can keep all your custom changes.
To make a child theme:
1. In your wp-content/themes folder make a folder called 'slidingdoor-child'
2. Make a file in this folder called 'style.css' that has this in it:
- Code: Select all
Theme Name: Sliding Door Child
Description: Child Theme for Sliding Door
Author: Your name!
/* Place new css code below here */
3. In the wordpress admin go to appearance themes and enable the child theme, not the main theme.
4. Go for it. If you want to change a file, make a COPY of it from the main slidingdoor theme folder to this new child theme folder, and any files in this child theme folder will over-write the originals.
You can just ADD css to this style.css, you don't need to copy the whole original .css file. The css you add to this child theme file will overwrite the original css.