Changing the number of images

Any questions about styling and customising the layout, changing the number of columns, changing the number of sliding images and so on.

Re: Changing the number of images

Postby emays » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:00 am

Okay, so maybe this is obvious for everyone else, but... where is the imagemenu.css file? I don't see it in the editor list. I only have:

RTL Stylesheet
(rtl.css)
Stylesheet
(style.css)
Visual Editor RTL Stylesheet
(editor-style-rtl.css)
Visual Editor Stylesheet
(editor-style.css)

Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!
emays
I'm new here

A way to fix jiggling when changing the number of images

Postby BangkokJ » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:04 am

My solution to fixing the "jiggling" problem when changing away from the default seven (7) images. YMMV.

In the Wordpress theme editor open Sliding Door: Stylesheet (style.css)

Add into the section "/* The main theme structure */" this code:

Code: Select all
#branding {overflow: hidden;}

Please note: make this only for the #branding div. Do not make the mistake of adding in to the line:

#branding,
#wrapper {
margin: 0 auto;
width: 948px;
}

Doing that would could have unintended bad consequences.

After doing this, you will also need to do some math. Using the example of changing from 7 images to 6, you first might think you want 155px as the new width, but this doesn't fix the jiggling since 155x6 still isn't wide enough to force things to the full width of the enclosing div. 156 also doesn't work (probably because of also losing a pair of borders and margins for the removed image) but 157 does!

But note that it may cut off just a pixel or three of the last image. So keep that in mind when you position your text overlays in your image editor.

This solution was tested for Safari, Chrome, Firefox and Opera current versions and Mac OS X 10.6.8 on the date of this post. Good luck.
BangkokJ
I'm new here

Postby Tomas » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:12 am

Hi, I was wondering if there is any way how can I edit "imageMenu.css" vie WP interface... only css files I can see under Appereance/Editor/ are "style.css" , "rtl.css" , "editor-style-rtl.css" and "editor-style.css"
BUT I NEED "imageMenu.css" maybe I am looking in wrong place but I want to avoid dealing with ftp access THANKS
Tomas
I'm new here

Postby fe1212 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:43 am

i saccssed to change the picture to 4 from 7 (in the fanction area)
, but i can't change the large of those pictures.
i dont knew were to look for details about it.
fe1212
I'm new here

Postby fubar19 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:04 pm

Hi people

I have created a child for this theme, I managed to make changes to the style.css and everything was working fine with 7 images, but then when I tried to copy over the functions.php to my child theme and add the changes posted by jugoretz for reducing the images from 7 to 5, I get the following error message on my site. I might add I also created an imagemenu directory and copied the imagMenu.css into there and made the changes to that too. Anyway below is the error message I am currently getting, if someone could help that would be great, I will try and solve it myself in the mean time. ;)

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare get_the_post_thumbnail_url() (previously declared in /home/jorella1/public_html/personal/wp-content/themes/sliding-door-child/functions.php:115) in /home/jorella1/public_html/personal/wp-content/themes/sliding-door/functions.php on line 121

Cheers
J
fubar19
I'm new here

Postby fubar19 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:03 am

well I did some further research and unlike the child style.css which overrides the parents style.css, the function.php adds onto the parent function.php. So basically if there is a command or request in the parent function.php which tells wordpress how many image sliders are at the top of the page (default 7) if you need to change the settings, then you need to write some code in your child function.php to disable the parent function.php so that it doesnt run the command twice and get confused.

hopefully the links below will explain it better

http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

http://venutip.com/content/right-way-ov ... -functions

my only problem is, I havent a clue where to start or what to write in my child function.php to stop it from reading the parent function.php. So if anyone could upload their function.php they used on their site so I had some reference point it would be a great help!

Thanks
J
fubar19
I'm new here

Postby 123adam » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:51 pm

Can anyone reasume this, according to newest version?
123adam
I'm new here

Postby jugoretz » Wed May 16, 2012 11:28 pm

@123adam I'm still using this technique with the latest version of WordPress, and it works fine.

@fubar19 I wouldn't recommend a child theme for this. It's too easy to get things wrong. I just created an entirely new theme.
jugoretz
I'm a regular

Postby ozgrgvn » Thu May 24, 2012 10:18 am

Hello,

Could you explain how to make 6 sliding images instead of 7 on Picture Perfect theme please?
Thank you.
ozgrgvn
I'm new here

Postby Julie » Sun May 27, 2012 11:10 pm

jugoretz - thank you very much for the information to change the amount of images. You did the hard work so others have it easy peasy. You're a legend. :)

Someone asked where the imageMenu.css is. It's under wp-content/themes/slidingdoor/imagemenu - I used ftp manager to access and edit it.
Julie
I'm new here

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced - Customising the theme