Making it three column.

Any questions about styling and customising the layout, changing the number of columns, changing the number of sliding images and so on.

Making it three column.

Postby wayne » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:35 am

I don't have time to write a detailed tutorial on this much requested topic but here's the basics.

In sidebar.php:

Make 2 sidebar divs instead of one as follows:
1. Replace the word 'sidebar' in the div tag with 'sidebar1' and make the function say dynamic_sidebar('sidebar1') instead of dynamic_sidebar('sidebar')
2. Copy this new edited entire sidebar.php file and paste it below the original.
3. Replace the two occurrences of 'sidebar1' with 'sidebar2' in the second half.

In index.php:

Move the get_sidebar function so that it is before the main content but after the header.

In style.css:
Change the name of all the 'sidebar' references to 'sidebar1'
Duplicate all the sidebar1 lines and call the copies sidebar2
Make sidebar1 float left and make sidebar2 floar right.
Add a large left margin and right margin to the to the main content so that the sidebars fit each side.

I just did this to my site at http://dubbo.org and it worked fine - you can see it there.
It's basically the same theme but without the sliding doors.
wayne
Site Admin

Re: Making it three column.

Postby giovinco » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:51 pm

Hi Wayne. . . We love working with your slidingdoor theme, but our latest project requires a 3 column layout. We are having a hard time understanding these instructions as none of us have a CLUE about CSS, or PHP. However, if you could be so kind as to post the code for the the pages to edit: sidebar.php, index.php, and style.css. It would be much easier to just paste the new code from here to notepad to the wordpress theme editor. Of course, we would be more than happy to make a donation! Would posting the code be a better solution than creating another theme with 3 columns? Sounds like a lot of us are in need of this. We appreciate any consideration you might give to this idea. Thanks Wayne!
giovinco
I'm new here

Postby wg816 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:51 am

I don't know if this is unethical or anything, sorry if it is. Here is his style sheet

http://dubbo.org/wp-content/themes/slidingdoor/style.css
wg816
I'm a regular

Postby wayne » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:25 pm

Yes that is probably the best option - just copy the relevant parts from my dubbo.org theme which is three column.
I hope to post it on wordpress as a theme when I get some time!
wayne
Site Admin

Postby raananb » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:47 pm

Hi,

Great theme :)
From some reason since Iv'e created 3 column page, the widget bars appear to go to the bottom of the page whenever the comment menu is open or whenever I'm in any of the pages (in other words - anywhere except the main page where it is as it should) - any idea?

(also I'm wondering how can I replace the ugly "post comment" button with a nicer gif/jpg button,

thanks for your help,

http://www.mrbphotos.com

Iv'e only just started to customize it so not much content yet...
raananb
I'm new here

Postby Katrina » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:11 pm

Ok, I'm confused and really need this dumbed down a whole lot because following these instructions to the best of my limited ability only resulted in my sidebars disappearing completely.
Katrina
I'm a regular

Postby jtw » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:18 pm

Hi,

From some reason since Iv'e created 3 column page, the widget bars appear to go to the bottom of the page whenever the comment menu is open or whenever I'm in any of the pages (in other words - anywhere except the main page where it is as it should) - any idea?

(also I'm wondering how can I replace the ugly "post comment" button with a nicer gif/jpg button,

thanks for your help,

I am having the same problem as this post above. Any advice?

Thanks for the great theme!
jtw
I'm new here

Postby Inky » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:49 am

I looked at your source code and followed your directions but can't figure out why it won't work. No sidebar 2 shows. Relevant style sheet code attached. I have two files: sidebar and sidebar2.php (I already tried having the first file say sidebar1 in the file name--no diff.)

Top of index file says

<?php get_header(); ?>
<?php get_sidebar(); ?>
<div id="content">

I tried get sidebar1 and repeated with get sidebar2--no diff

sidebar file looks like this (with an exact file copy that says sidebar2)

<ul id="sidebar1">
<?php if ( !function_exists('dynamic_sidebar')
|| !dynamic_sidebar('sidebar1') ) : ?>
<?php wp_list_pages('title_li=' . __('Pages:')); ?>
<?php wp_list_bookmarks('title_after=&title_before='); ?>
<?php wp_list_categories('title_li=' . __('Categories:')); ?>

<?php endif; ?>

</ul>
<!-- END sidebar -->

attached is source code sheet from my site on my own server
Inky
I'm new here

Postby raananb » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:27 pm

Have you actually placed anything under sidebar #2 in the widget page?
raananb
I'm new here

Postby raananb » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:32 pm

raananb wrote:Hi,

thanks for your help,

Guys - anyone have any idea? this is really annoying...
raananb
I'm new here

Next

Return to Advanced - Customising the theme