This discussion has some basic stuff on CSS and editing.

Any questions about styling and customising the layout, changing the number of columns, changing the number of sliding images and so on.

This discussion has some basic stuff on CSS and editing.

Postby videoguy9 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:39 am

Hi
Installed the theme and loaded new images, all looking good, but now I have an issue with the linking...hoping you can help

First, the image for category 2 will not link to any of the categories I have set up in the blog. It returns no category name in the "you are currently browsing..."and on the category screen says "Nothing to see here".

Also...along the same lines... can you tell me if it is possible to reorganise the categories so that the slides link to the right categories, in the order I want them, or do I have to delete the categories and remake them all in that order?

Apologies in advance if I am missing something obvious and thanks for the great theme
videoguy9
I'm new here

Re: Category 2 ...Grrrr!

Postby arya » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:02 pm

Get here: Menu Question
The link above will tell you how to change the link of the picture of the slide to the link you want.

If you have uploaded new pictures, upload it to "images" folder in the "imagemenu" folder of the slidingdoor theme's folder (heheh, sorry for the "rhyme" :lol: ). And don't forget to change the name of the picture in "imagemenu.css" (inside the imagemenu folder) to the name of your pictures.
Example:
This is the original lines which refers to the "abstract picture":
#imageMenu ul li.bk1 a {
background: url(images/abstract.jpg) repeat scroll 0%;

Modification:
#imageMenu ul li.bk1 a {
background: url(images/concrete.jpg) repeat scroll 0%;

(no, you don't need to make it bold)

Hope it would help
:)
arya
Legend!

Postby cptmoney » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:19 pm

OK - so i'm having a related issue, with header images...

i've created and uploaded a new image to the "images" folder of the "imagemenu" in the "sliding door" theme. how do i change the name of the picture in "imagemenu.css" (inside the imagemenu folder) to the name of the new picture? Do i need some special software to do this? or do i do it within my FTP program, which is Filezilla?

i can't seem to open in in Filezilla, that's why i'm asking...am i anywhere CLOSE to getting this thing to take off?

Please let me know when you have a second. I'm really trying to do this correctly, but i'm way behind the learning curve here...

thanks!

cptmoney
cptmoney
I'm a regular

Postby arya » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:02 am

if you are using Windows, you can use notepad or wordpad to modify css or php files (i reccommend wordpad)
if you are using Mac, you can use the textedit, or NovoEdit. I'm a mac user, i'd prefer to NovoEdit.

So, maybe you can do these steps:
1. Open the files (imagemenu.css) from its folder in Windows. I mean, you don't need to open it through Filezilla. Just extract the zip file of the slidingdoor theme that you downloaded to your computer, then open the files.
2. Edit the lines, with any program you'd prefer. Then save it.
3. Upload (and overwrite) it to the corresponding folder in your webhost through the FTP software.
4. Test your web

And btw, yes, you're getting closer to solve the problems ;)

Good luck
:)
arya
Legend!

Postby cptmoney » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:44 am

THAT'S IT! I LOVE YOU, ARYA!

THE ANGELS ARE SINGING IN HEAVEN ABOVE! HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!

I've edited only one photo, but when i typed in the domain name into my address bar and up popped the photo - i wet my pants. what a great feeling!

So, in short - i can use firebug to find and test things that i want to change...but to actually change them, i'll have to find the actual css code using the the original file (the unzipped version) using wordpad/notepad/novoedit. once i've made the changes, i send them again via ftp (filezilla is what i'm using), refresh the browser window - and SHAZAAM! - my new photo shows up.

man, where were you a week ago when i was screaming and shouting all the profanity?

i am so happy right now. you've made my night...

i'll be back with more questions soon!

cptmoney
cptmoney
I'm a regular

Postby arya » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:18 pm

cptmoney wrote:man, where were you a week ago when i was screaming and shouting all the profanity?
cptmoney

i was playing with the css & php codes of this theme also... :lol:
was trying to integrate the slide to the theme i am using, and voila, you can see the result here: a12ya dotAsia
:D
Last edited by arya on Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arya
Legend!

Re: This discussion has some basic stuff on CSS and editing.

Postby cptmoney » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:43 am

Hey Arya -

You've blended two themes here, right? You've done an incredible job.

May I ask how you implemented the sliding door header into the NeoEase theme? I'd love to replicate that for our school website/blog. I think it's fantastic. The sliding door header is really the only thing that keeps me coming back to this theme; you've perfected it with the blending.

Is is incredibly complicated? Can I just add the CSS in all the right places and it will all come together? I'd love to know your thoughts on all of this.

Thanks again -

cptmoney
cptmoney
I'm a regular

Postby arya » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:49 am

Sure!
It's here: [HowTo] Put the slide at another theme
:D

What is your school''s website/blog address?
arya
Legend!

How to change the links

Postby jbradley57 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:57 am

Hello Arya,
Maybe you can help me.
I've read the menu link and tried to get my posts linked to the sliding images. I've tried changing the header.php file, adding the url for my post and I get the post without sliding images to follow it.
How do I change the header.php to link the sliding images to posts or pages?
I can't get any reponses to previous posts and I'm just like waving out here in the breeze.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Thank you.

Jim
jbradley57
I'm a regular

Postby wayne » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:33 pm

Jim,
your question is answered here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30
wayne
Site Admin

Next

Return to Advanced - Customising the theme