Frustrated! Can't seem to get any help!

Any questions about styling and customising the layout, changing the number of columns, changing the number of sliding images and so on.

Frustrated! Can't seem to get any help!

Postby GerryLee » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:37 pm

Second request for help (2nd post) and ZERO responses so far...I'm beginning to get a complex here.

I'd like to know how to create static pages in Sliding Door.
Mostly, I just need to know how to eliminate all of the sidebar items including: search, categories, archives, Meta, and anything else related to posting.
The site that I'm about to build needs to be totally static. All I want is one column of content (text and images) to work with.
I'll be creating a horizontal menu bar for my navigation and that's all I need.
I've seen one other post that inquired about this issue (2009), but I can't find the code in style.css or the values (width) that exactly matches up
with the code in the solution that Wayne suggested. (I guess because that was regarding a previous version?)
I've only attempted only two previous WP sites, and two mobile ready sites, so obviously, I'm still very new to this.

Any help would be appreciated,

GerryLee

P.S. I'm actually having some other issues as well. I can't seem to make any changes within the theme beyond changing the title and removing the optional widgets.
Most any other other editing that I attempt just seems to be ignored. Changes that I was able to make to Twenty Ten and Weaver themes just aren't happening
for me in Sliding Door.........I'm on the verge of giving up on this theme...and would be a disappointment.
GerryLee
I'm new here

Re: Frustrated! Can't seem to get any help!

Postby oliviaok » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:33 am

have you created a child theme?
any changes you want to make you can add here rather than edit the default.

if you've made loads of changes and had no reaction theres a chance you may have left some errrors here and there- id suggest deleted the theme and reloading it to start afresh then create a child theme and activate this.

im no expert just a suggestion has i no how it feels in your position as i was once there- still am really lol
oliviaok
I'm a regular

Postby Dingens » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:33 pm

Hi,

Seems you're having two different problems.
The problem with the static site has to do with your wordpress configuration and is also described in the setup forum of this site. Look into the wordpress codex (wordpress.org) if you need any further information.

Having problems with styling the theme will get some relief if you use something like firebug (in the firefox browser) or inspect element in safari.
There are a lot of lines to this theme and some things just aren't in the place you first expect them.
Dingens
I'm new here

Postby wayne » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:35 pm

not sure exactly what you are after - it sounds like you want to turn it into a 1 column theme with just some content on one page, in which case all you need to do is search through for the discussions about how to change the number of columns, so that you make it a one common theme with no widgets. Is that what you mean?
wayne
Site Admin

Return to Advanced - Customising the theme