Link CATEGORIES to Images in Sliding Doors

Everything else!

Link CATEGORIES to Images in Sliding Doors

Postby Zjanette » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:38 pm

Many have asked questions about this.

This is THE way. As we are told from the beginning on this forum.

Read!

Quote (the italic comments are from me)

How do I change the URL that the sliding doors link to?

VERSION 2.6 and later: THE MENU'S ARE NOW SET UP USING THE BUILT-IN CUSTOM MENUS (I don't understand this and am not using Custom Menus)

1. Go into Appearance - Menus
2. Create a New menu and add 7 Pages to it. Make 7 pages and give them any name you want. We will remove the titles later.
3. A new dropdown will appear on the left called 'Sliding Navigation' Select your new menu here.

How do I link to a category in the sliding doors and select an image for that category?

1. Make a blank 'placeholder' page called anything (eg category 1) and upload a featured image for this page and then add this page to the navigation menu] so that one of the sliding doors points to it. I did not do this. This is a very confusing part. Please make sure you have installed the plugin below first! After that do not make a new Placeholder page but use the 7 pages you have in the menu!!

2. Use the 'page links to' plugin to point this page to the category you want.
(Here is the plugin http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/page-links-to/)

So edit each page seperately. Give them a link to a categorie or URL and a featured image!

The sliding image will now link to the category.

Unquote

Now you have seven pages that are mentioned just below the sliding doors. The seven pages you made are visible. You don't want that do you?
Go back to the pages and edit them. Remove the title and Save! You can remove the title when you give the page a link to ... and a featured image but it's better to see if everything works as you want and after that remove the title.

I tried to make a blank page with no title and save it from the beginning. Does not work! You have to give the page a title first, put the link of the categorie (or a URL) in the section Page Links To, connect it with a featured image from the sliding doors and save it. Later you edit it and remove the title. Before you remove the titel you can go to Appearences and Menu en put the pages in the order you want. Just pick them up and put them in the right place. This way you can manage the Sliding Doors. That is also a reason to remove the title of the pages as a last thing and not do it first.

I did it! I did it! I did it!

Zjanette
Zjanette
I'm a regular

Re: Link CATEGORIES to Images in Sliding Doors

Postby sarahooo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:49 pm

Hi, Zjanette
I followed your instruction and it works!!!!
Thank you for sharing your tips!
sarahooo
I'm new here

Postby dneal » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:36 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I read so many posts & could NEVER make this work! But, after reading your post, I got it up & running smoothly! Thank you for explaining things in English -- for those of us non-coders!
dneal
I'm a regular

Postby meg » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:32 am

I too have struggled many hours with this one. I found these instructions very helpful except that I could not figure out the url to the categories. For those of you who know all this, my apologies, but for those still struggling, here is what I finally figured out. I discovered the url you put in the page link to on the page itself, was simply my site url/?cat=(the number assigned to the catagory) But how do you know what # is assigned to each category? If you navigate to the list of categories and simply hover over the category name that you want the ID # for, it will show up down at the very very bottom of your screen on the lower left, where the x is when you are not hovering :) Plug that simple # into the instructions given and it really does work :)
meg
I'm new here

Postby savannah » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:42 pm

I have added 7 pages to the menu but a drop down ""sliding navigation' does not appear. The plug in "page links to" is installed. Really like this theme but really, really difficult. Please help.
savannah
I'm new here

Postby savannah » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:19 am

I figured it out shortly after my last post but not the way you described. For anyone else needing help with it, I did it on the back end, through the files with my web host, though it probably only works if you have your site hosted seperately. I uploaded my pictures under the name of the default pictures in the sliding doors. In the file under your domain (located with your web host) the path is path is:

yourdomain.com/wp-content/themes/picture-perfect/imagemenu/images.

In the images folder are the jpgs for the default pictures that come with the theme. They are (1.jpg) (2.jpg) (3.jpg), etc. and without the parenthesis of course. I renamed the picture I wanted to replace with the same name as the default picture it was replacing ( 1.jpg, etc). If you upload a picture with the same name as one already hosted, you will get an "overide the existing file" request. I just used the overide and all my new pictures have the same label as the default ones had. It was the only way it worked for me. I hope it helps someone else.
savannah
I'm new here

Postby wayne » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:55 pm

savannah wrote:I figured it out shortly after my last post but not the way you described. For anyone else needing help with it, I did it on the back end, through the files with my web host, though it probably only works if you have your site hosted seperately. I uploaded my pictures under the name of the default pictures in the sliding doors.

That will work, but if you are new to the theme and reading this... this is not a good way to do it because if the theme is updated it will overwrite the pictures. The FAQ way is the best way. Someone has done a 'pictorial guide' which is very good and I've linked to it in the FAQ.

Wayne
wayne
Site Admin

Postby lansoren » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:06 pm

Thanks a lot. It would have been impossible without your help. But there is a thing I have not been able to do, just the last part. If I remove the title of the pages, these remain without title but then, I go to menu, and the pages have disappeared as pages and as part of the sliding door menu.

How can I remove the title of the pages? I do not want it there, please help
lansoren
I'm new here

Postby ZappoB » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:52 pm

Hello community,

I've fitted the Sliding Door theme to my needs and it works very nice, except one thing: I have a category page with my news which is done like above described. This also works fine, but the slider doesn't stay open, as on all other pages, which is a little bit annoying. Is there a trick or workaround available?

My website is http://frixtender.de/ and the slider/page is "News".

Any help is greatly appreciated.
ZappoB
I'm new here

Postby wayne » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:22 pm

Slider is not staying open on any page. Check the option in 'theme options' to keep it open.
wayne
Site Admin

Next

Return to Announcements and General Support for Slidingdoor Themes