Child theme troubles

Any questions about styling and customising the layout, changing the number of columns, changing the number of sliding images and so on.

Child theme troubles

Postby Sakecat » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:16 pm

So I am making a child theme for this as I don't have allot of changes i want to make only few. How ever the changes need to permanent. When I did the changes the first time around I was working under the assumption that Wayne didn't support this theme any more. So i did them directly into the site how ever now i need them to stick and be able to take updates. So lets start this over and do it again. the changes I need to make are as follows.

Make the wrapper transparent.
Make the fotter include &copy sakecat LLC
Make the text go back to the original padding from the left side I think this was about 20 pix.
Change the font family.

Mostly CSS work but it needs to be done and i figured i would journale it here.
Sakecat
Legend!

Re: Child theme troubles

Postby Sakecat » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:36 pm

I was able to change the wrapper to transparent with this code.

Code: Select all
#wrapper {
   background-color: transparent !important;
   color: transparent;   
}
Sakecat
Legend!

Postby Sakecat » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:08 am

The &cop; tag that generates the copy right in the footer was fairly simple i was just able to download the footer.php from the original theme and and then upload it to the child theme with modifications and i was done.
Sakecat
Legend!

Postby wayne » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:44 am

You should be able to do all that in a Child theme.

You don't need to update to the latest version of the theme if the older one suits your needs.

Most of the mods are just to make the theme easier to use, or to add features others have requested. As you can see a simple theme update generates lots of troubleshooting for people especially those with custom mods, so I try to update it as little as I can. i just felt there were enough good ideas on the forums in the last year or so!

Wayne
wayne
Site Admin

Postby Sakecat » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:17 am

Ok so I pointed out in the other post on the new update of word press that I have been having some problems. The biggest problem is with the Content of the Html tag

<ol>

Now this is related to the light.css file taking over for that section of the #content styling. Why its doing this I don't know. Firebug clearly shows that this is where it is picking up the Css for it but I should be able to override it in the child's style.css. I still feel like im not getting some of the themes functionality with the child theme because when I check on the change theme to white It dose not work in the child theme but dose in the regular. Lets add this to the problem list and I now need to go over to Word press forum and ask about why the wp-admin live theme preview is not working. Wayne I am going to post my all my child theme info I would really appreciate it if you could take a look at it my childs Css file. Iam acutally going to attach my whole child theme for you to play with I think it would really be a good idea to have a child theme template that has full functionality for those who want to do mods. At least then you know you started from the right place eh.

styly.css

/*
Theme Name:     sliding-door-child
Description:    Child theme for sakecat
Author:         Blake
Author URI:     http://www.sakecat.com/
Template:       sliding-door
Version:        0.1.0
*/

@import url("../sliding-door/style.css");
@import url("../sliding-door/dark.css");
@import url("../sliding-door/light.css");
@import url("../sliding-door/imagemenu/imageMenu.css");

#wrapper {
}

Except for the #wrapper change it is almost exactly just how you had it in your http://mac-host.com/support/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1869&sid=9612ba7d41d6d8b6c7641acf0a9cad9e pin about using a child theme you put up is there a chance that the instructions were missing a import. I found another css file editor-style.css and added that to the @import url list and that is a no dice it fixes the problem with the
<ol>
div but It also blows all the text fomatting from the rest of the style sheet. this also dose not return functionality to the color switching theme option. On top of that it displays the text color as Gray. The other two files i have in my child are the.

footer.php

<?php
/**
 * The template for displaying the footer.
 * Contains the closing of the id=main div and all content
 * after.  Calls sidebar-footer.php for bottom widgets.
 * @package WordPress
 * @subpackage Sliding_Door
 * @since Sliding Door 1.0
 */
?>
   </div><!-- #main -->

<div id="footer" role="contentinfo">
      <div id="colophon">

<div id="site-generator">

<!-- If you'd like to support WordPress, having the "powered by" link somewhere on your blog is the best way; it's our only promotion or advertising. -->

<p>All content and design not powered by <a href="http://wordpress.org/">WP</a> and <a href="http://mac-host.com/slidingdoor/">Sliding Door</a> or acredited <a href="http://www.sakecat.com/media/creative-commons/">here</a>.
      Is &copy; Sake Cat LLC 2012 .</p>
         </div><!-- #site-generator -->

</div><!-- #colophon -->
   </div><!-- #footer -->

</div><!-- #wrapper -->

<?php
   /* Always have wp_footer() just before the closing </body>
    * tag of your theme, or you will break many plugins, which
    * generally use this hook to reference JavaScript files.
    */

wp_footer();
?>

</body>
</html>

and I have this for my amazon A-store.

[url]<?php get_header(); ?>

<?php
/*
Template Name: a Store Page
*/;
?>

<?php get_header(); ?>

<!-- Paste your own code below over the example code I've supplied -->

<iframe src="http://astore.amazon.com/edited-out" width="90%" height="4000" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

<?php if (have_posts()) : while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>

<?php the_content(__('[Read more]'));?>

<?php endwhile; else: ?>

<p><?php _e('Sorry, no posts matched your criteria.'); ?></p><?php endif; ?>

<!-- The main column ends  -->

<?php get_footer(); ?>[/url]

I don't think any of this is causing my functionality and character problems. I have tried disabling all of my plugins getting widgets that are plugins taken out etc etc NO DICE. Please advise me on where you think the problem is thank you. I would really love to get a good child theme start point for modifiying my site as most of my mods are not the in depth.
Sakecat
Legend!

Postby Sakecat » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:21 am

changing my styles.css file to just this returned most of the functionality and eliminated 90% of the problems. only standing problem left is the line spacing problem I mentioned in Waynes Update Post.

/*
Theme Name:     sliding-door-child
Theme URI:      http://www.sakecat.com/wp-content/themes/sliding-door-child
Description:    Child theme for sakecat
Author:         Blake
Author URI:     http://www.sakecat.com/
Template:       sliding-door
Version:        0.1.0
*/

@import url("../sliding-door/style.css");
@import url("../sliding-door/imagemenu/imageMenu.css");

#wrapper {
}

Guess less really is more. I think the light.css and dark.css file was double loading Wayne I dont think you need it in a the Child template. Don't forget to let me Know about the One page no sidebar justification issue.
Sakecat
Legend!

Postby wayne » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:14 pm

I think you might be right, you may not even need to import the imagemenu.css one, just the style.css?
Wayne
wayne
Site Admin

Return to Advanced - Customising the theme